Monday 29 April 2013

Magazine Evaluation - Who would be the audience for your media product?


Identifying the audience for my magazine during the planning process was very important as it shaped the style of the magazine I created, it is one of the most important elements of the successful marketing and production of media. My magazine is aimed at readers between the ages of 17 - 24, a young demographic and so this meant my designs would be less formal. I picked my target audience as it’s the same for other rock magazines such as Kerrang and Mojo. The age range of people buying music magazines is usually in the target age range I picked and so this would mean more sales of my own magazine. By using my research, I could see what was and what wasn't appropriate in a magazine aimed at a young audience.



On the right is an image of what the target audience of my magazine would look like. Young, mixed gender and not hardcore rock fans as my magazine isn't aimed at fans of the more hardcore rock such as heavy metal.



My target audience isn't gender specific unlike some pop genre magazines, rock magazines don’t tend to have a target audience not of both genders. Creating a magazine that only appealed to one gender would be unnecessary as rock isn't a male or female specific music genre. This would also limit sales of the magazine.
Those familiar with the artist featured on the cover are the most likely audience for my product, with an image of the artist featured on the front pages as well as the band name, this would attract those who are interested in reading something about that artist. Also with the lures around the image with other artist names, there are more reason for a fan to just look at the cover page and be interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment